Monday, September 12, 2016

Red Road: Andrea Arnold


I miss Dogme 85. I don't know if I ideologically agree with everything it stood for. But you can't argue that it didn't produce some stunning films. Take Andrea Arnold's Red Road. It's a ravishingly gorgeous film shot with only natural light which still manages to be both achingly colorful and luminous. It also helps that it has a fascinating mystery plot: a woman who works as a security cam guard begins stalking an ex-con fresh out of prison. Why does she do it? The reason may be a bit contrived, a bit too soap-opera for my tastes. But they work as a motivating force. I've never associated Arnold's work with tight plotting; she's a much more naturalistic director. But the demands of the mystery genre proved her ability to tightly weave a compelling storyline with satisfying twists and turns.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment