Monday, October 24, 2016

Tramp, Tramp, Tramp: Harry Edwards, Frank Capra


"[Harry] Langdon's magic was in his innocence, and Capra took beautiful care not to meddle with it...Langdon became quickly and fantastically popular with three pictures, Tramp, Tramp, Tramp, The Strong Man and Long Pants; from then on he went downhill even faster." - James Agee

Well, I hope Langdon went uphill soon after Harry Edwards and Frank Capra's Tramp, Tramp, Tramp because, in all honestly, I wasn't particularly impressed by it. It's too slow, doesn't build up any forward momentum like the films of Harold Lloyd (which also tend to start slow before creating considerable inertia), and quite frankly, it isn't that funny. The Langdon persona hear was more infuriating than it was charming: he's incompetent, idiotic, and selfish. I understand that innocence was his whole shtick. But there's a difference between innocence and being a self-centered, clumsy moron.

5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment