A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Tuesday, August 8, 2017
Police Academy: Hugh Wilson
Why are we so drawn to the Police Academy movies despite the fact that they're not that particularly good and the funny is juvenile at best, stupid at worst? I think it has to do with the characterizations. In just 96 minutes director Hugh Wilson introduces us to a small army of distinct characters all with their own character arcs, personalities, and quirks. And it helps that many of them are genuinely endearing and charming: the super-strong and quiet Moses Hightower (Bubba Smith); the mousey Cadet Laverne Hooks (Marion Ramsey); and gun-fanatic Eugene Tackleberry (David Graf), a character who, in hindsight, is a lot less adorable given today's political climate. I guess we can forgive a lot if we love the characters enough. And for all its failings, Police Academy delivers in that regard.
6/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment