A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Monday, January 11, 2016
Le Notti Bianche: Luchino Visconti
[Revisit Review]
Let me level with you: I was in a bad place the first time I watched Luchino Visconti's Le Notti Blanche. I was going through a severe bout of depression and I watched 4-5 movies a day mostly as a way to keep myself occupied. In all honesty, I don't remember much about the films I watched during those months. But having a chance to re-watch it now, I was pleasantly surprised to find a devastating romantic tragedy that hit me a lot harder than I thought it would. The best scene, however, was a prolonged sequence where a crowd of young Italians danced to rock 'n' roll in a nightclub. It was like watching ballet dancers try to rock out for the first time. But I digress: Le Notti Blanche is stunningly beautiful; the black-and-white cinematography--particularly in a climactic scene where it starts to snow--is in a league of its own. It's a bit too long, though.
7/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment