Saturday, March 19, 2016

Jujiro: Teinosuke Kinugasa, Bonji Taira


I need to revisit Teinosuke Kinugasa and Bonji Taira's Jujiro again in the future. Part of this is because the copy of the film that I watched was so heavily deteriorated that I sometimes had trouble figuring out what I was looking at. But another part is that I want to see it live with an actual musical accompaniment instead of the dead silence that complimented the aforementioned copy. Jujiro is fascinating: it uses montages in ways that would make Sergei Eisenstein jealous and double exposures that would make Dziga Vertov green with envy. When the film kicks into high gear it's an expressionist nightmare. But unfortunately long stretches of the film are quiet and still as a Noh play. Again, maybe a better copy of the film would make these sequences more engaging. But I'm not sure.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment