A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Wednesday, June 27, 2012
Monster a Go-Go: Herschell Gordon Lewis, Bill Rebane
There are a lot of things that I can tolerate in a bad film. Bad acting? Well, not every director can accidentally stumble upon Robert De Niro living down the street. Bad special effects? Hey man, those can be expensive. And, besides, great camera angles and cinematography can do wonders with even the cheapest effects. Bad writing? Well...that is pretty unforgivable. But my point is that I can suffer through quite a bit when it comes to schlocky cinema. I said in my review of The Creeping Terror (1964) that the worst sin that a bad movie can commit is to be boring. But I have discovered a second unforgivable bad movie sin in Monster A Go-Go: utilizing an ending that proves your movie has been a giant waste of time. I won't reveal it here, but Monster A Go-Go has an ending that will enrage any sapient being who watches it. The film supposedly follows the chaos that ensues when an American astronaut named Frank Douglas crashes to earth after being transformed into a radioactive monster. Of course, most of the movie involves random extras milling around offices, fields, and construction sites. There is almost no narrative cohesion whatsoever. The acting is atrocious, the special effects nonexistent, the filming completely incompetent, and the ending is insulting. A pox on this film and everyone who worked on it. When you make Roger Corman and Bert I. Gordon's monster movies look like the work of Orson Welles, then you should never EVER make movies again.
0/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh joy, a 0/10. I actually haven't seen this one yet but am aware of its horrible reputation. I remember one of the riffs for the Manos MST3K was "hey if we can get through Monster a Go-Go we can get through anything!" And with Manos, that is really saying something!
ReplyDeleteApparently when the series was all said and done the cast and crew of MST3K said that MONSTER A GO-GO was the single worst film they featured.
Delete