A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Thursday, November 23, 2017
Coco: Lee Unkrich
The PIXAR magic might be gone, but there's enough substance in Lee Unkrich's Coco to recommend it. But it still breaks my heart to see PIXAR genuflect to Disney's required quota of comedic relief side characters, characters who say what they feel instead of showing it, and the ever more ubiquitous Third Act Villain. You all know the Third Act Villain: the character we all think is a good guy until they shockingly turn heel in the last 30 minutes. There's Hans in Frozen, Dawn Bellwether in Zootopia, and Lots-O'-Huggin' Bear from Toy Story 3. They so boring and unmemorable. I long for the naked evil of classic Disney villains. At least they're fun to pretend to be. But anyhow, I can't hate Coco despite its formulaic approach. Any film that fairly gets me to cry in the last 5 minutes gets at least a 7/10.
7/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment