A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Sunday, October 26, 2014
The Corpse Vanishes: Wallace Fox
Ah...Monogram Pictures: where the audio is inaudible, the cinematography unwatchable, and the actors all washed up. It's getting harder and harder for me to watch Bela Lugosi in these Poverty Row productions. It's beginning to get to the point where there's a cringe factor involved. After all, wasn't this man Dracula? The Corpse Vanishes may not have been Lugosi's most painful Z-grade picture, but that isn't saying much. This time around he's kidnapping paralyzed brides to steal their "bodily fluids" so he can keep his vain wife looking young. I can't believe there's a film out there that makes Edward Dein's The Leech Woman (1960) seem somewhat credible in comparison. I will say that I enjoyed the spunky female reporter who leads the investigation into the mass bride kidnapping. I definitely got a Lois Lane vibe from her. But alas, by the end of the film she is repossessed by the patriarchy and shoved into a "loving marriage" with a man who jokes that he can't wait for her to do his laundry.
4/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment