A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Thursday, February 26, 2015
L'Age d'Or: Luis Buñuel
[Revisit Review]
I'm giving Luis Buñuel's L'Age d'Or a 7/10 ranking for the same reason that I gave one to Béla Tarr's Sátántangó (1994): I don't know if I can give a score to such an experimental movie. Of course, I wouldn't hesitate to give Un Chien Andalou (1929) a 10/10 score. But that's because it had a fundamental impact on both the surrealist movement and the cinema itself. L'Age d'Or feels like a retread of ground that was covered more thoroughly (and succinctly) in Un Chien Andalou. The anti-clericalism and focus on human sexuality was certainly more pronounced in L'Age d'Or, but I feel like Buñuel was just using the same tools he used in his earlier film. I can't say that he pioneered anything new with it. Still, L'Age d'Or is an important piece of cinematic history and its surrealistic techniques, though recycled, are interesting enough to warrant a 7/10 placeholder score.
7/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment