Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Bay of Angels: Jacques Demy


Bay of Angels is now, officially, my favorite Jacques Demy film ever. That's quite a statement considering my general aversion to his filmography. Cool, detached, and yet counter-intuitively gripping and mesmeric, Bay of Angels is one of the best films I've ever seen about gambling. Thanks to a tongue-in-cheek fantasy soundtrack, the film takes on the tone of a fairy tale set in the high stakes gambling parlors of Europe. Claude Mann shines as Jean Fournier, a callously self-centered and aloof bachelor who spurns his father and becomes a gambler after hitting it big during his first visit to a casino. I found him more interesting than Jackie (Jeanne Moreau), his soulmate and partner in mutual annihilation. I found her infuriating yet utterly predictable: I could see her betrayals and pathetic attempts at buttering up Jean for money coming a mile away. But Jean was an enigma: why does he love Jackie?; why does he insist on living a life of gambling after seeing it bring one of his closest friends to ruination? One of my favorite scenes was how he managed to beg money from his father after going broke despite the fact that the father disowned him for becoming a gambler. Instead of being thankful for an inexplicable, one-in-a-trillion about-face he gleefully runs off to Jackie with the money, not giving the father a second thought. What an asshole. What's more, I think he knows he's an asshole. But whether that fact brings him discomfort, solace, or anything at all remains a mystery.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment