A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Wednesday, July 4, 2012
Manhattan Melodrama: W. S. Van Dyke
When the end credits of W. S. Van Dyke's Manhattan Melodrama began to scroll, I found myself sarcastically chortling to myself, "I liked this film more when it was called Angels with Dirty Faces." But that isn't fair. It's true that Manhattan Melodrama and Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) have a similar plot overview: two childhood friends grow up to find themselves on opposite sides of the law. But they are very different films. Manhattan Melodrama follows Blackie Gallagher, a gambler and a vicious gangster, and his best friend Jim Wade, an assistant district attorney. The two had been together since they survived the horrific General Slocum disaster of 1904. Even when it becomes apparent to both of them that sooner or later their lifestyles will collide, they treat each other like brothers. It all begins with a murder...then blackmail...then a revenge killing...and before they know it, Blackie is on trail and Jim's career and reputation are on the line. Their friendship is well known to the press and public. If Jim doesn't persecute Blackie, then he will be seen as a corrupt politician who bent the law to protect his friend. Both Jim and Blackie know it, too. The only performance that I found myself truly enjoying was Clark Gable as Blackie. Gable channels this marvelous "devil may care" attitude, even when his life is on the line in the courtroom. Other than that there really isn't much else of note in Manhattan Melodrama. If I ever see it again, it will most likely be as clips in Michael Mann's Public Enemies (2009).
6/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment