A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Tuesday, April 7, 2015
Fast Five: Justin Lin
Justin Lin's Fast Five may well have been the single best thing that could have happened to the Fast and Furious franchise. Though the first 30 minutes or so are weighed down by the same stunted, downbeat gravitas that so hurt the fourth film in the series (Lin's Fast & Furious [2009]), everything changes when the extended cast from (most) of the previous movies returns to pull off a gigantic heist caper in Rio de Janeiro. Suddenly the film had humor. Suddenly the film had excitement. Suddenly the film was entertaining. I cannot overstate how much this decision galvanized both the film itself and the entries in the series that would follow. I must admit that the film was a bit too long. But the climactic scene where they literally sped through the streets of Rio dragging a giant bank vault more than made up for it.
7/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment