A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Monday, December 31, 2012
12 Monkeys: Terry Gilliam
12 Monkeys has quite the cinematic pedigree: it stars Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt, is directed by Terry Gilliam, and is based on Chris Marker's La jetée (1962), a film on the short-list for the greatest short film of all time. Is it any wonder considering its well of talent that 12 Monkeys is an intelligent, expertly crafted sci-fi film? In a future where mankind has been forced underground by a horrific virus, James Cole (Willis) is a convicted criminal subjected to scientific tests with the intent of sending him back in time in order to stop the apocalypse. Upon arrival in the past, Cole must unravel the secret of the Army of the Twelve Monkeys, the terrorist group suspected of being behind the virus. This being a) a time travel film and b) a Terry Gilliam picture, 12 Monkeys is a wash of impossible visuals, fantastic performances, and revolutionary ideas. Willis' performance as Cole, particularly in scenes in the "past" where he is captured, committed to a mental institution, and pumped full of drugs, ranks among the very best of his career. This is a film that rewards multiple, meticulous viewings. Thankfully, the film is so well made that the audience will want to re-watch it as soon as possible anyway.
8/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm also glad you got to see this movie! I'm a big Terry Gilliam fan and this is right up with Brazil as my two favorites directed by him, though I still have a couple of his movies left to see. I can't wait for his next movie, The Zero Theorem, which comes out in 2013.
ReplyDeletePersonally, I'm a complete sucker for TIME BANDITS.
Delete