Monday, August 31, 2015

Cheerleader Ninjas: Kevin Campbell


When I saw Kevin Campbell's Cheerleader Ninjas on Netflix streaming, two thoughts immediately went through my mind. First, I can't believe that I've found another Troma film I've never heard of before. Second, I have to watch this. Having now seen it, I have two more thoughts. First, that definitely wasn't a Troma film. Second, I really, really, really wish I hadn't watched it. This film has its tongue so firmly in its cheek that it's broken through, wrapped around the entire circumference of the earth, and plopped back into its own mouth. There isn't an opportunity missed for a eye-rolling pratfall, inappropriate joke, and deliberately terrible, over-the-top performance. And that would be alright if the film actually was funny. But with only a few exceptions (which admittedly were so good they saved this film's score from a 1/10) Cheerleader Ninjas didn't make me laugh. There's this running obsession with fart and poop jokes. At times random farting sound effects will pop up that have nothing to do with what's going on onscreen. It made me feel sick; and not in an entertaining way like in Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead (2006), but in a I-want-to-unironically-throw-up kind of way. And yet, I have no doubt that all of this was intentional. This film was SUPPOSED to be blindingly stupid and over-the-top like in Troma films. But whereas even the most inane Troma films seem to carry some level of irony or political commentary, Cheerleader Ninjas is just...dumb.

2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment