A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Monday, May 5, 2014
I Walked with a Zombie: Jacques Tourneur
[Revisit Review]
[Spoilers Ahead]
I Walked with a Zombie is a film that I didn't fully appreciate the first time that I saw it. If I remembered correctly, I dismissed it as rather dour and lifeless. Oh, how foolish I was...Today the film strikes me as a near-masterpiece of atmospheric horror. There aren't any jump scares (that I can think of). Instead, the entire film works to create a universe of dread, mystery, and suspicion. My favorite image in the film is of the Carre-Four standing watch at the crossroads leading to the houmfort. It's a perfectly conjured image of terror. But my favorite moment is when Mrs. Rand reveals herself to be the voice inside the shack at the houmfort. It isn't a scary moment, but it's a perfectly calculated one that pulls the rug out from under you and makes you truly wonder if anybody in the film is who they say are.
8/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment