Sunday, February 15, 2015

One Mysterious Night: Budd Boetticher


So...this is how the mighty Budd Boetticher got his start in feature-length pictures, eh? I have to say that it was a lot better than some of the other debut films I've seen (The Delinquents [1957], anyone?). Clocking in at only an hour, One Mysterious Night was the seventh film in the Columbia Pictures Boston Blackie series. While nothing special, the plot was serviceable and the characters pleasing enough. Mercifully, none of the comedic relief roles were grating or annoying. One Mysterious Night has about as much in common with the rest of Boetticher's filmography as Les affaires publiques (1934) has with that of Robert Bresson. But it's still worth watching for Boetticher aficionados. Plus, it introduced me to a great new character that I'm eager to explore. This Boston Blackie is an ex-con who helps the police and a master of disguise? I'm sold!

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment