A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Monday, January 4, 2016
Martyrs: Pascal Laugier
Since I'm going to be reviewing the remake, I've decided to watch Pascal Laugier's Martyrs (2008). Now, I've got no qualms with the New French Extremity...in theory. It just seems like almost all of the respective films drop the ball. Alexandre Aja's High Tension (2003) was ruined by one of the stupidest, most poorly thought out twist endings I've ever seen. Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo's Inside (2007) would have been a masterpiece if the characters weren't total, complete morons. In all fairness, Martyrs does seem to have a point: examining the nature of human cruelty and suffering. But honestly, the last thirty minutes are just boring and repetitive. It's like the rape scene from Meir Zarchi's I Spit on Your Grave (1978): at some point it becomes more about the graphic content itself than what the graphic content is being used for. Here, the violence and gore just stopped shocking me. I like the idea of transcendence through torture. I just don't think it was done well here.
5/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment