Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The Man Who Could Work Miracles: Lothar Mendes


In addition to being a pure delight, Lothar Mendes' The Man Who Could Work Miracles is one of the most British films that I've ever seen. This film is so British that when its protagonist gains god-like powers he still shows up for work on Monday. This film is so British that when its protagonist wants to "disappear" a constable giving him trouble, he sends him to the second worst place he can think of: San Francisco. I kid, I kid, but The Man Who Could Work Miracles is a wonderful USA/UK co-production mingling fantastic talent from both sides of the Atlantic. One of the most interesting parts of the film is how it doubles as a harsh political allegory against classicism. The fact that it came out only 3 years before the beginning of World War Two also gives it an uncomfortable prescience. And, oh, aren't the special effects just charming?

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment