Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Plough and the Stars: John Ford


I pride myself on a list over 3 years in the making where I keep track of every single movie that I watch. Yes, it is partially the product of my obsessive compulsive personality, but there is a much more practical reason behind the list. The list allows me to see which movies I have watched and how many times I have viewed them. Therefore, I discovered, much to my surprise, that I had already watched John Ford's The Plough and the Stars once before after viewing it again a few days ago. I must not have been paying very close attention, because I didn't remember a single scene of the film. That's quite a shame, too. While not one of Ford's greater films, The Plough and the Stars remains a relatively enjoyable outing. An adaptation of Seán O'Casey's famous play about people caught in the middle of Ireland's 1916 Easter Rising, the film focuses on one of Ford's favorite themes: manly honor. Nora and Jack Clitheroe live in Dublin as a relatively happy couple. However, Jack is promoted to the rank of Commandant in the Irish Citizen Army. He is called away to participate in a bloody uprising during Easter Week of 1916 where Irish republicans attempted to break away from British rule and establish an Irish Republic. Nora begs Jack not to go, but he chastises her like a child and says that it's his duty as an Irishman. Of course, the uprising is brutally squashed and Jack finds himself running for his life from the British army. The film uneasily balances the gritty violence of the uprising with scenes of comic relief involving the Clitheroe's neighbors. What could have been a powerful drama is hurt by the constant tonal shifts. It may not be perfect, but The Plough and the Stars is still solid enough.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment