Thursday, October 18, 2012

Gamera: Noriaki Yuasa


I feel I should make one thing very clear before I continue: the version of Gamera that I am reviewing is not the American edit popularized on Mystery Science Theater 3000. Instead, I am focusing on the original, Japanese cut. The American edit is famous for its horrible dubbing, brand new footage featuring Caucasian actors, and a general sense of narrative incoherence. But the original by Noriaki Yuasa is easily one of the best examples of the daikaiju eiga genre that I have ever seen. After a nuclear accident in the icy wastes of North America, a giant, fire-breathing turtle named Gamera is unleashed. It travels around the world seeking nourishment in the form of pure energy. I found that the most fascinating part of Gamera was the emphasis on international cooperation. Great pains are made to demonstrate that Gamera was truly a threat to all humanity. It is only after an enclave of the world's greatest scientists join together that a successful solution to the Gamera problem is discovered. The solution in question is sensationally ludicrous. But then again, this is a movie about a giant, flying turtle. The film takes a refreshingly realistic approach to how the world might react if a building-sized monster appeared overnight. One scene involving supply trains full of oil is particularly impressive. But even the Japanese cut of Gamera suffers under the addition of the "friend of all children" subplot. Little Toshio, or 'Kenny' in the American cut, is still present and is annoying as ever. I still have no idea what Yuasa was trying to do with him. Making the genocidal nuclear monster a "friend of all children" doesn't make sense. It hurts the film. But thankfully the rest of Gamera is strong enough to survive his meddling antics.

7/10

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen a Gamera movie but find the whole "friend to all children" thing funny. The same thing sort of happened to Robocop with Robocop 3 and an animated series for kids...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch the original Japanese cut of the first and then compare it to the MST3K version. They're completely different movies!

      Delete