A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Saturday, July 30, 2011
The Blue Dahlia: George Marshall
Raymond Chandler's work defined film noir: it's look, it's tone, even it's characters. When his novels and stories weren't being adapted to the big screen, he wrote some of the greatest noir screenplays to ever grace Hollywood: Double Indemnity and Strangers on a Train. The Blue Dahlia is another Chandler-scripted film noir that has come to be considered a minor classic of the genre. The plot is probably Chandler's most confusing and labyrinthine this side of The Big Sleep. It involves Navy pilot Lieutenant Commander Johnny Morrison, a veteran coming home from the Pacific Front to find his wife is cheating on him. He leaves her and runs off with another woman who happens to be...get ready for this...his wife's boyfriend's estranged wife. Things are made even worse when Morrison's wife is found murdered. And so, Morrison becomes entangled in a opaque web of lies, murder, and cheating spouses that all seem to involve the Blue Dahlia night club. It would be wrong to punish this film for the complexity of its plot. After all, The Big Sleep was so confusing that even Chandler famously couldn't explain all of its plot twists. But The Big Sleep benefited from a magnificent cast including Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. The Blue Dahlia has it's share of fine actors, too: Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake, Doris Dowling. But none of them have the same sparkle or chemistry as the cast in The Big Sleep. The Blue Dahlia is a fine film...maybe even a great one. But it just doesn't have the same kick or sinister undertones as The Big Sleep, an ultimately superior film that was released mere months after The Blue Dahlia.
7/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

While The Big Sleep probably is better, I do have a greater personal affinity for this one. The dialogue cracks me up and there are always bonus points for staring at Lake for 80-90 minutes! (Yep, more points than I give Bacall on that same scale). Plus Bendix is really sort of terrifying here.
ReplyDeleteLove this site, Nate--it's not many places that will post about this and Cannibal Ferox back to back!
Thanks! What can I say...I'm an eclectic filmgoer.
ReplyDeleteI never understood why Lake always tried to cover her face with her hair...she was so pretty!
For some reason, this one never clicked for me and I can't tell why since I love a lot of the individual elements like the nightclub, Doris Dowling's character, the Ladd-Lake banter. I much preferred This Gun for Hire.
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with you. This was a fine film...but it didn't truly grip me like "The Big Combo" or "The Third Man."
ReplyDelete