Friday, October 14, 2011

Silent Running: Douglas Trumbull


I dearly love Douglad Trumbull. Whether he's taking us beyond the solar system in 2001: A Space Odyssey, creating a cyber-junk future in Blade Runner, or creating the very beginning of the universe in The Tree of Life, there are few special effects wizards who can truly transcend the limitations of the silver screen. So when I heard that he had directed a film, a science fiction film in outer space, no less, I had to see it. That film is Silent Running. In the future, mankind has apparently created a utopia on earth where everyone is "happy" and has a job. The only problem is that they apparently destroyed all plant life on earth in the process. All that remains of the vegetation that once cloaked the planet are six "greenhouse-like geodesic domes" on a spaceship outside the orbit of Saturn. They are tended by four men. Three of them are destructive, careless men. The fourth, played by Bruce Dern, dearly loves the plant and animal life. So when they are ordered to destroy the six domes, he rebels, kills the other three men, and runs off with the last two forests (he was unable to save the first four from destruction). Accompanied by only three ship service robots, he lives in quiet solitude. At least, he does until he is discovered by forces on earth who intend to take the spaceship by force and destroy the last forests. This is a phenomenal film. It plays off the idea of truly being alone and isolated in space. The only problem is that it is difficult to root for Bruce Dern. He comes off as a madman instead of someone pushed to the limits by his love for nature. It's difficult to see this film as anything other than a blatant piece of environmental propaganda. But if you can look beyond such things, you'll find a truly remarkable film.

8/10

2 comments:

  1. I have heard of this movie before but never knew Douglas Trumbull directed it. I love his special effects work (he needs to do more movies!) so I'll have to check this out some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you definitely need to see this movie, man. It's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete