Monday, May 9, 2016

Les Godelureaux: Claude Chabrol


Oh Jean-Luc Godard...you so crazy. What else can you say to Godard's selection of Claude Chabrol's Les Godelureaux as one of the "Six Best French Films Since the Liberation?" Of course, the list was made decades and decades ago. But the idea that this film could be one of the best French films ever is as preposterous as suggesting that it's even one of Chabrol's best. I had to watch it twice back-to-back to fully understand what happened. And even then I found it a fairly tepid romantic drama about a rich bastard messing with a young man after he humiliates him in public. I guess there's some level of cruel irony to a bourgeois fop devoting so much of his life to revenging a minor slight against him. But it wasn't enough to make the film truly interesting. I was originally going to write a B-Roll on this film, but I was so bored by it that I talked myself out of it, schedule be damned!

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment