Monday, July 4, 2011

The Hitcher: Robert Harmon


Critics did NOT like The Hitcher when it was first released.  They called it shocking, exploitative, cruel.  I completely agree with them.  You see...that was the point.  The Hitcher, in my mind, is about the seduction of the innocent, the eternal battle between good and unspeakable evil.  Rutger Hauer's character is a malevolent, near supernatural force of nature that seems to exist solely for the purpose of proving the extent of horror in this world.  As he tortures and torments Jim Halsey, he seems to be representing a force greater than himself.  Of course, violence for violence's sake is pointless.  But director Robert Harmon creates a devastating and claustrophobic world of nightmares for his characters to inhabit where violence is the means to test their limits, both emotionally and psychologically.  It is disturbing?  Yes.  It is gruesome and exploitative?  Yes.  But that's the point.  This is not a film about a pleasant subject.  It has literally been years since I've seen a film that has made me feel this sick and uncomfortable...but for all of the right reasons. 

9/10

10 comments:

  1. Oh man, I love The Hitcher! I remember telling you about this one after we saw Trick r Treat so I'm glad you finally got to see it. I need to see it again as its been awhile. The scene with Jennifer Jason Leigh tied up near the end has got to be one of the most tense scenes ever. I totally agree about this movie being disturbing in a good way. Also, I've heard The Hitcher is one of Christopher Nolan's favorite films.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of people are turned off by the sheer violence of the film. But they're missing the point. This film has some of the most unbearable tension that I have EVER seen. I mean...this must have been like what it was like to watch Hitchcock back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I agree. It's kinda funny that you and Roger Ebert basically said the same things about the film but you loved it and he hated it as he gave it zero stars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Listen, Roger Ebert is my hero. His Great Movies series helped inspire me to enter the world of cinema. But we don't always see eye-to-eye.

    In fact, we disagree A LOT!!

    Did you know he gave "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" 4 stars?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love Roger Ebert and disagree with him too. I just think its funny that you loved it for the same exact reasons he hated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Different strokes fer' different folks, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ebert's Paul Blart review is actually three stars. But I think even that is too generous.

    Have you seen the 2007 remake with Sean Bean? I kinda liked it in a guilty pleasure sort of way. I haven't seen this version but it sounds like it takes itself more seriously than its successor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really? 3 stars? I remember it as four...

    Oh well...

    No, I haven't seen the remake. No offense, but Sean Bean is no Rutger Hauer. You should DEFINITELY see the original. It is AMAZING. It is honestly one of the best thrillers that I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THE HITCHER is definitely not for the faint of heart, but it definitely scares the hell out of you! :-) Great review, Nate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! I can sum up the success of this film in two words: Rutger Hauer.

    ReplyDelete