A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Saturday, September 19, 2015
Chico & Rita: Fernando Trueba, Javier Mariscal, Tono Errando
I think it was the assassination scene set to the sound of Dizzy Gillespie's "Manteca" that made me realize that Chico & Rita was something special. The odds were already in its favor what with its story centered around the late 1940s, early 1950s jazz scene and stunning animation reminiscent of mid-century Cuba. But it was that scene that really jolted my spine into awareness. I found the central romance rather tepid, actually. I never believed that their initial bond was so powerful that they would sacrifice and suffer for each other for decades despite their abusive and destructive behavior. To me, Chico & Rita is a blast of jazz nostalgia and a celebration of animation's power to elevate and exaggerate.
8/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment