Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Back to the Future Part III: Robert Zemeckis


Here's how I would rank the Back to the Future movies: 1>3>2. While Back to the Future Part II was fine, it felt like an extended epilogue for the first film. But Back to the Future Part III had it's own identity, it's own emotional fulcrum. Watching it, I felt like I was watching Marty McFly and Doc Brown actually learn and grow as human beings. I loved the Western setting, although in a weird way I can sympathize with Roger Ebert's criticism that the set decoration looked like it was designed for a sitcom instead of a big-budget Hollywood blockbuster. But in another weird way, I kinda liked it. I don't think the Western world of Back to the Future Part III was supposed to be any more realistic or serious than the futuristic world of Back to the Future Part II.  It felt like it was all made by a bunch of friends who wanted to celebrate a genre they loved. What it might lack in realism it makes up for in enthusiasm.

8/10

2 comments:

  1. I like 2 more than 3 but that's probably because you're more into Westerns than I am. That said, Part 3 is a bit underrated, especially as a third/final film of a series. I agree about the enthusiasm, it makes me want to watch more Westerns! I like Doc getting to be the main character for a change. And I still think they should've just taken Clara with them!

    ReplyDelete