
Well...this was an interesting experience. I have to say that The Big Doll House was my very first women-in-prison film. I was inspired to watch it after seeing it mentioned in both American Grindhouse and Machete Maidens Unleashed! as one of the most important examples of the genre. So, naturally, I had to see it. The film follows sex female prisoners who attempt to escape from a prison in the middle of a jungle. They are ruled over by a sadistic guard who tortures them when they step out of line. They organize their escape by taking the prison's evil warden, the prison medic, and two locals who provide the prison with produce hostage. The whole affair ends with chaotic, low-budget violence and carnage the likes of which would give Roger Corman and Quentin Tarantino an erection. Watching this film, I was consumed with questions. Why is the prison in the middle of the jungle? Why are the two locals so committed to figuring out a way to rape the prisoners (don't ask)? How exactly do the ladies get their hands on automatic weapons and use them better than trained commandos? Who knows? Who cares? We get to see Pam Grier topless! It's very clear where director Jack Hill's priorities were: between the neck and belly-button. These women willingly get topless at the drop of a hat. As a liberal feminist, I know that I should be offended. But for some reason, whenever the ladies go into the shower or get ready for a torture session at the hands of the aforementioned guard, things go blank........um...ahem...anyhow....The funniest thing about The Big Doll House is that it isn't really a bad film! It isn't a good one...but it doesn't do anything glaringly wrong in terms of basic film conventions and storytelling. The acting, particularly from Pam Grier, is surprisingly decent. And as exploitative and over-the-top as the screenplay is, it does deliver several very memorable and funny lines. My personal favorite is "Get it up or I'll cut it off!" I don't think any additional context is needed for that one. As offended as I know I should have been, I enjoyed The Big Doll House. It reminded me of a conversation that took place between a filmmaker and his studio boss in Preston Sturges' Sullivan's Travels (1941):
John L. Sullivan: I want this picture to be a commentary on modern conditions. Stark realism. The problems that confront the average man!
LeBrand: But with a little sex in it.
John L. Sullivan: A little, but I don't want to stress it. I want this picture to be a document. I want to hold a mirror up to life. I want this to be a picture of dignity! A true canvas of the suffering of humanity!
LeBrand: But with a little sex in it.
John L. Sullivan: [reluctantly] With a little sex in it.
6/10
No comments:
Post a Comment