A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Sunday, October 16, 2016
Personal Shopper: Olivier Assayas
I've spent a lot of time thinking about Olivier Assayas' Personal Shopper, for a couple of reasons. First, as the first of Assayas' films that I've seen, it's made me intensely curious to check out the rest of his filmography. Second, this might be the only Kristen Stewart performance I've ever seen that's truly effected me. I'm not saying that Stewart's a bad actress, merely that my limited exposure to her career has been...less than ideal. *cough*Twilight*cough* Third, I haven't seen many films that have so successfully played around with genre filmmaking as a way to surpass those same genres. Personal Shopper may technically be a ghost story/thriller hybrid. But first and foremost it's a film about loss and grief and how we internalize and externalize those emotions. It's one of the scariest movies I've seen all year, but it's not really interested in BEING a horror film, feel me?
7/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment