Monday, May 7, 2012

Gas-s-s-s: Roger Corman


While watching Roger Corman's Gas-s-s-s, I was reminded of his earlier film The Trip (1967) where a young Peter Fonda embarks on a surreal and mind-bending LSD trip.  Both films feature wild visuals, over-the-top characters, and odd cultural references. Who can forget the scene in The Trip where a midget riding a merry-go-round starts to scream "Bay of Pigs" for no logical reason?  Gas-s-s-s, on the other hand, starts with a strange animated sequence where a beefy army general modeled after John Wayne and a German scientist accidentally unleash a deadly gas upon the United States which kills everyone over the age of twenty-five.  There's some kind of political statement being said...but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is.  And, honestly, I don't think Corman knew, either. My suspicion is that with The Trip and Gas-s-s-s Corman inserted a large amount of politically and socially provocative material just for the sake of being politically and socially provocative.  Anything to sell movie tickets, I guess. But despite all of this Gas-s-s-s is a weak, incomprehensible film.  Other than its basic premise, I have no idea what Gas-s-s-s is about.  All I remember is a bunch of teenagers running around in ridiculous outfits who occasionally stop and engage in shootouts with other bands of derelict teenagers.  At some point a group of survivors take shelter in a kind of hippie monastery.  But it isn't long before a small army of jocks crossed with Mad Max rejects lay siege upon them and demand that they turn over all of their fruits and vegetables.  By that point I had given up trying to decipher this film.  I simply didn't care anymore.

4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment