A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Saturday, November 19, 2016
Versus: The Life and Films of Ken Loach: Louise Osmond
There's nothing particularly bad about Louise Osmond's Versus: The Life and Films of Ken Loach. It just doesn't feel that substantial. You know what it does feel like? A Blu-ray extra on the forthcoming release of I, Daniel Blake (2016). It covers his entire career, from his beginnings as a hired hand working at the BBC to a political troublemaker in British cinema to one of the most revered directors in the world. I'll say this: it made me realize how full of BS my review of I, Daniel Blake was. In it, I said that the film was Loach's most overtly political; he had never been that angry before, never that concentrated towards any governing organization. How very, very wrong I was. If anything, Versus has inspired me to go and seek out more of Loach's filmography. So it isn't a complete loss. It just doesn't feel like it has anything truly original to say about Loach or his work.
6/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment