A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Friday, March 11, 2016
Zootopia: Byron Howard, Rich Moore
Is it weird that the big thing I got out of Byron Howard and Rich Moore's Zootopia is that they were really, really proud of the fact that they got Shakira as a guest star? Because she's everywhere in this damn movie. Seriously though, Zootopia is a refreshingly original and sophisticated. Its commentary on stereotyping and racism was surprisingly astute: although there are clear similarities between animal prejudices and real life human ones, they never go so far as to ascribe any one species to a race of humans. Therefore the prejudices come naturally from the world of the film instead of from hackneyed equivalents to our own. Also, I like how the film seems to conclude itself halfway in when the Mayor Lion gets arrested for imprisoning feral predators. From there the film seems to improvise naturally into a new, better story.
7/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment