Monday, December 19, 2016

The Greasy Strangler: Jim Hosking


There wasn’t a moment in Jim Hosking’s The Greasy Stranger where I didn’t feel grossed out, uncomfortable, or nauseated. All of which, of course, was the point. The Greasy Strangler is like if Wes Anderson made a Troma film. Too bad it isn’t paced like an Anderson film. For all its lusty grossness and perversion, the film is done in in large part by its insufferable pacing. I remembering pausing the movie, thinking that it was almost over. Turns out, I was only about 30 minutes through its 90+ minute run-time. But I can't hate the film. Rarely do you see a film so exemplify a director's obvious vision. There's not a shot in the film that doesn't cohere to Hosking's artistic intentions. And there's something laudable about that. Too bad it couldn't be a better film.

5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment