A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Friday, August 5, 2011
The Man in Grey: Leslie Arliss
British period dramas, particularly those from the Caroline to the Edwardian era, have never been my cup of tea. However, I was surprised to find Leslie Arliss' The Man in Grey to be a delightfully demur affair. As with many films of its ilk. it surrounds the issue of social status and family. The film follows Hesther and Clarissa, two well-to-do women of the Regency period and their various affairs and amorous exploits. As time goes by, they will go from being friends to rivals and finally to bitter enemies. The film is framed with a clumsy narrative device that positions it as a flashback recounted by the characters descendents during World War Two. It sets the mood and tone of the film, but generally seems unnecessary as it contributes nothing to the actual storyline. Again, as with most like-minded films, there are strong performances by all of the actors and actresses. While I have yet to see a film to convert me into an avid fan of English period dramas, The Man in Grey distinguishes itself as one of the more enjoyable experiences that I have had with the genre.
7/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment