A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Saturday, September 17, 2011
Once: John Carney
Some films take your breath away mere minutes after they begin. A magical hush descends as you become entranced by what's occurring on the screen. Once is one of these films. Literally within a few minutes of the film beginning, I was astounded. Shot in 17 days on only $160,000, Once is a miracle of low-budget filmmaking. It follows two unnamed musicians, the Man and the Woman, who meet on the streets of Dublin, fall in and out of love, and make some of the sweetest music to ever grace the cinema. The songs, including the Academy Award winning Falling Slowly, seem so real, so natural, that they leave you dumbfounded. There are only a handful of films that I believe realistically portray actual love. Fassbinder's Ali: Fear Eats the Soul and A Year of the Quiet Sun come to mind as examples. Now another movie joins them...a film as simple as a melody and as magnificent as the sweetest harmony.
9/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Always up for a well written love story. I'll have to add this one to the list.
ReplyDeletePage
It's one of the best!
ReplyDelete