A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Saturday, August 20, 2011
Thelma & Louise: Ridley Scott
It's a good thing that Thelma & Louise was directed by Ridley Scott, otherwise I would have hated it. He brings a grace and natural beauty to a story that I find ridiculous and infuriating. The film is named after its two main leads, Thelma and Louise, who skip town and their oppressive spouses for a getaway weekend. They stop at a bar wherein Thelma is sexually assaulted. Louise shoots and kills her attacker with a stolen gun and the two go on the lam. This sounds like a decent set-up for a film. However, the two make the most asinine and ridiculous decisions that they could make given their circumstances. After the police start investigating them for murder, they repeatedly blow them off even when they repeatedly offer to help them and not charge them for the crime. In one scene, Louise' boyfriend catches up with her, offers to forgive her, and proposes. Louise, of course, blows him off and discovers that Thelma has lost all of their money. How, you might ask. She left the money sitting on a counter in plain sight after an admitted bank robber that she had a one-night stand with takes a shower in her bathroom. Afterwards, they rob a store, assault a policeman, and blow up a 16 wheeler. Why? We are given no explanation. These are NOT the actions of sane, smart women. There is even a police officer who takes it upon himself to give them a fair trial whom they blow off several times. Like I said, thank goodness that Ridley Scott filled the film with stunning cinematography, gripping chase scenes, and a killer soundtrack. Scott's direction was all that kept me from throwing a chair into my television screen at these idiotic characters.
6/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I thought the same thing, although I probably liked it even less than you did, because I'm not a big fan of Scott anyway.
ReplyDeleteNice review, glad to know I'm not the only one that was very unimpressed by this film.
It's true that I didn't like this film...but I'm usually a HUGE fan of Ridley Scott. I love most of his films that I've seen.
ReplyDeleteIt's a pretty fair film, fair to good; I think I've seen it twice and enjoyed it slightly more the first time, but I agree, there's something about the characters and their choices that takes away from the story. And: I truly liked the DIVINE SECRETS book and writer (Callie khouri) directed a silly and awful film DIVINE SECRETS... from what had been a more dramatic book. / At any rate, Scott is a terrific director, usually, and has better films. I agree with you on the rating.
ReplyDeleteI don't know exactly what it was about this film...it just didn't agree with me the way that it probably should have. Glad that you think so, too!
ReplyDelete