A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Pony Express: Jerry Hopper
Pony Express bugged me. I know that isn't a very precise or engaging critical evaluation, but it's the simplest way to express my feelings towards this film. I know that American Westerns, particularly ones from the first half of the decade, were never known for their historical accuracy. But Pony Express takes it to such insane extremes that it pulled me out of the viewing experience. The film follows Wild Bill Hickok and Buffalo Bill as they give birth to the Pony Express by setting up a mail route from St. Joseph, Missouri to Sacramento, California. Along the way they fight against California secessionists partially led by the owner of a stagecoach business. Their journey includes a scene where Buffalo Bill engages in a tomahawk battle with a Sioux chief...and wins. The film stars Charlton Heston as Buffalo Bill, but it is astounding how forgettable his performance is...as well as the rest of the film. I watched this film very intently. But that was over a week ago. And amazingly, I cannot remember almost anything from this film. There's just a giant...blank...where my memories of this film should be...
5/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment