A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Monday, July 18, 2011
Black Christmas: Bob Clark
This is the problem that I have with most slasher films...at some point, it's all about how creative you can get while killing somebody. While some filmmakers, particularly makers of Italian giallo, see this as an opportunity to create grisly, yet compositionally stunning deaths, most just see how much gore they can shove on screen at once. To somebody who has become desensitized by too many horror movies, the only way that horror films can scare them is to actually CARE about the potential victims. And most slashers forget to do just that. Take Black Christmas. Almost NONE of the characters who are murder fodder are likeable. I felt almost happy seeing them get picked off. But perhaps I'm approaching this incorrectly. Movies like these are supposed to be fun, popcorn movies...I guess. It makes interesting use of the camera, particularly during the stalking scenes. And there is some genuine tension produced. But overall, the film is about killing people. And quite frankly, I don't care if most of them die or not.
5/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I haven't seen this movie but agree with you about having likeable characters in films like these. Tales from the Crypt would often have unlikeable characters doing unspeakable things then getting their just desserts. But it worked because they weren't just unlikable, but actually the bad guys, and whatever was after them was exacting revenge or bringing about justice. But those were also less than 30 minutes and I think it would be tough to draw out that sort of thing without using likeable characters whom the audience wants to see survive. Plus I thing viewers feel more strongly about seeing a character live than seeing a character die, with a few exceptions for evil villains.
ReplyDeleteToo true...too true.
ReplyDeleteIn theory...I don't have a problem with horror films where many people get killed. But if you can't make the characters endearing, you can at least make their deaths really cool. "Black Christmas" failed to do either.
Nate,
ReplyDeleteI agree that Black Christmas wasn't scary but it was a film that kept my interest. As we've discussed, 'slasher flicks' really don't scare me because they are just so predictable and silly over the top with the gore.
I hadn't thought of this film in a long time so your review was a fun read.
Page
Why thank you, Page.
ReplyDeleteBut just because a film is a slasher doesn't mean that it can't be a good film. Look at "Halloween" and "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre."