Thursday, August 24, 2017

Gremlins: Joe Dante


Man...the 80s must've been wild. Just look at Joe Dante's Gremlins: the film is a slasher movie made for children. I wish I was kidding. It might disguise itself at first as a charming kid's movie about a boy and his monster, but then those monsters multiply and become demonic Looney Tunes who steal, torture, maim, and straight-up murder people! But seriously, I adore this film for all its anarchic zaniness, inventiveness, and willingness to be downright nasty and gory despite being a movie for children. I mean, the main villain gets dissolved into a gooey skeleton! Try pulling that off today! I also love how, much like John Carpenter, Dante uses his camera as much to obscure the objects of his terror as he does to reveal them. Just watch how cleverly he hides the eponymous Gremlins from the camera once they transform for what feels like ages. A+ filmmaking, folks.

8/10

2 comments:

  1. Yay I'm glad you finally saw Gremlins! I've heard the sequel is good, need to seek that one out.

    ReplyDelete