Sunday, August 24, 2014

Alfred Hitchcock: The Birds


[Revisit Review]

You know, for a "masterpiece," Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds has some atrocious pacing and absurdly clunky scenes of exposition. It's a good thing that I adore static shot reverse shot dialogue scenes that last upwards of 5 minutes or else I would think that the film was visually bankrupt whenever special effects aren't involved! Listen, Howard Hawks once said that the definition of a good movie is three good scenes and no bad ones. THE BIRDS definitely has three good scenes. It might even have more. But the film fails as a whole. I can't forgive the film for the fact that the majority of its run-time is consumed with static, visually uninteresting, uninspired dialogue and bizarre characters who look and behave like plastic dolls instead of human beings.

5/10

2 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I've seen this one. I liked it more than you but did find it overrated. How much did your opinion change on the revisit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really remember. I first saw THE BIRDS years ago. But I don't remember hating it.

      Delete