A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Wednesday, October 2, 2013
Attack of the Giant Leeches: Bernard L. Kowalski
As if you didn't need another reason to not go creeping through the Florida Everglades at night, Bernard L. Kowalski's Attack of the Giant Leeches assures us that if the snakes or alligators don't get you, man-sized monstrous leeches will. In the film, a pair of these terrible beasts start to terrorize nearby inhabitants of the Everglades, kidnapping them, draining them of blood, and storing their corpses in subterranean caves. For such a short film (62 minutes) it is surprisingly padded. One sub-plot about a local woman who is caught by her husband while cheating on him with another man in the swamp is particularly bloated. Although, to be fair, the scene where the cuckolded husband forces the two lovers into the swamp to scare them straight is rather tense. But the rest of the movie is forgettable. The film is competently shot and John M. Nickolaus, Jr.'s cinematography is occasionally moody. But Attack of the Giant Leeches is tedious and uneventful. And it commits one of the worst monster movie sins of all: it only features the monsters in it for a few shots!
3/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey, Nate!
ReplyDeleteOnly a 3 out of 10? Well, that's disappointing! ha ha
I love your mini reviews, especially when they cover this genre. Even when they're cheesy they're still must see films. You have to laugh that any studio would do a 'horror' film featuring leeches.
I haven't seen you on Twitter but I hope you're doing well and you'll let us know how school is going.
Have a nice weekend!
Page
Hey Page! Glad you like the review! Anyhow, I have been on twitter, but I guess you just haven't been on at the same times. I'm done with school and am currently looking for a job. But I also started Forgotten Classics back up again! Check it out! Don't be a stranger!
DeleteCongrats on your academic achievements, Nate! I couldn't be happier for you and good luck on finding the job of your dreams. : )
ReplyDeleteThanks for the heads up on getting FC back up to its former glory. Is there another one of your fun Blogathons in our future?
Page
Oh man...maybe in a few months. I'm too busy looking for a job to properly plan a blogathon!
Delete