Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Where Danger Lives: John Farrow


John Farrow's Where Danger Lives is essentially a mediocre film noir that is salvaged by not one, but two terrific lead performances.  Robert Mitchum plays Jeff Cameron,  a doctor who falls in love with a woman named Margo who is brought in one night to the hospital for attempted suicide.  What he doesn't know is that she is already married to a sadistic and violent millionaire.  During a tense confrontation with her husband, Jeff is knocked unconscious.  When he wakes up, he finds Margo's husband has been killed.  Margo tricks a now nearly disabled Jeff into thinking that he murdered her husband.  She forces him to take her to Mexico to avoid the police.  Mitchum terrifically plays his part as a befuddled man who knows that he is being taken advantage of, but can't figure out how.  Much critical praise was given to Mitchum.  But the true star is Faith Domergue as the manipulative and psychotic Margo.  She quakes and simmers with a deep-seated insanity dwelling just below the surface of her regular, smiling demeanor.  By the end of the film she has delivered the line, "Nobody pities me" twice.  The first time it was a murderous condemnation, the second a cynical act of forgiveness.  Once again, let me stress that Where Danger Lives should have been an average film.  But Mitchum and Domergue help make this an engrossing tale of deceit, manipulation, and madness.

7/10

2 comments:

  1. Nate, I enjoyed your mini-review of WHERE DANGER LIVES. Mitchum is The Man! I remember watching this film on TV a while back and feeling sorry for poor Jeff. I was worried that he was going to die from complications of his concussion before somebody could finally squash the evil Margo like the cockroach she was! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it wasn't for Humphrey Bogart, I would say that Mitchum would be the crown prince of film noir. But personally, I think that Bogart just has the edge.

    But this film was defined by its performances. I've REALLY been delving into film noir recently and this plot is pretty standard and common. It was the performances that made it great.

    Thanks for stopping by! I hope that you'll leave more comments on my posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete