A collection of informal movie reviews for the purpose of documenting my thoughts on the films that I watch.
Saturday, July 23, 2011
Black Sunday: Mario Bava
Before he made multicolored masterpieces of giallo glory, Mario Bava directed Black Sunday, a controversial and graphic horror film that shocked audiences across Europe and America. At it center is the story of Asa Vajda, a Moldavian witch or noble blood who was executed in 1630. As she died, she cursed her inquisitor, who happened to be her own brother, swearing to return from the grave and kill his descendants. Flash forward 200 years in the future, and she has been restored from the grave after an accident which destroyed her coffin and the charms put in place to keep her trapped. She tries to destroy her brother's family, including Katia, a young woman who is her spitting image (indeed, they were played by the same actress). Of course, a priest, Katia's suitor, and a village full of pitchfork and torch wielding serfs have something to say about that. Black Sunday was notoriously dark and violent for its era, particularly its famous opening sequence where Asa is burned after having a "mask of Satan" nailed to her face. This film would go on to inspire many directors, including Francis Ford Coppola. Bava would go on to direct other, gorier, and ultimately better, films. But Black Sunday's superb artistry and storytelling have solidified its place as a horror classic.
7/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I grew up with the opening scene of this movie basically setting my standard for horror. I'm pretty glad that out of the big basket of movies I was probably too young for that this was the one which stuck!
ReplyDeleteIndeed! It really was a great film. It's wikipedia page is especially fascinating, particularly the parts where it explains all of the directors and films that it has influenced over the years.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear from you, Cliff!
The name Mario Bava was really familiar to me but I couldn't place it at first. Then I looked him up and it turns out he directed Danger: Diabolik which was on MST3K! His son Lamberto Bava directed Devil Fish which was also on MST3K. I wonder if this is the only father and son combo to both have directed movies later featured on MST3K!
ReplyDeleteIt's quite possible....
ReplyDeleteQuick! Did Ed Wood have any children?!